Saturday, July 08, 2006

London calling


Finally made it to London! My flight was delayed in LA so they re-scheduled me on a direct flight that left 3 hours later. I arrived into London only an hour later than my original time. The 9 hour flight was very smooth and without any problems. I sat next to a gentleman who is a psychologist and works with children with autism. He seemed intrigued by my film/trip and wished me the best.

I touched down in Heathrow at 12 Noon London time, however, it's 4:00am LA time. I slept most of the flight, but the time change still made me sleepy. By the time I exchanged some money and grabbed a bite to eat, it's 1:30pm. From the airport, I went straight away to the Underground and caught the train to Kings Cross where my B&B is located. I get there about 50 minutes later and found my B&B, The European close by.
My room is on the 3rd floor. No lift. A good work out for sure with luggage---glad I packed light. It's been humid and muggy in London and I certainly could feel it more so as I entered my room. I immediately opened my window and welcomed in a cool breeze. The room is modest, but nice and I relaxed for a bit. Wimbledon is currently going on and so it's all the rage on the telly. I decided to make the most of the day and walked around a bit. I found out my phone does not have international capabilities and so must get "pay as you go" phone. It's inexpensive and well worth it as it has come in handy.
I walked all around central London: Oxford/Sloane Street, Kensington, Piccadilly Circus, Covent Garden and finally ending up in the West End. All the street names and areas were coming back to me. I came across Stella McCartney's dress shop in the Regent/Sloane Street area. The shop was closed, however, she was having a sale. Don't imagine I'll be popping into her shop this trip.

Got to the West End and was enthralled to see the many shows now playing. Michael Gambon is the lead in a new show called Eh, Joe and is receiving excellent reviews. I'm hoping to catch this show as well as some others while I'm here.

The fatigue of the long flight is starting to weigh on me as I've walked close to 10 miles and in need of food. Stopped by a small cafe for a quick bite before heading back to the B&B. I walked through more of the West End and SOHO where everything was a buzz as people were out and about having a pint at their favorite local pubs. I was tempted to stop into one, however, I thought it best not as I most likely would of fallen asleep at the bar and been awoken by a concerned and/or annoyed bar keeper.
Got back to the B&B and literally collapsed. It's good to be back in London!

No comments: