Saturday, July 15, 2006

Festival Party!

I was running a bit late to the festival party. My day trip exploring Scotland took longer than I anticipated and I wanted to relax a bit before I headed to The Mint for the celebration.

I had roughly 10 minutes to freshen up before I made my way over to the venue and the walk itself was 15 minutes. The Mint is a great pub & restaurant. They have a private room upstairs where they hosted and screened some films the first night of the festival. Tonight this is where the celebration and conclusion of film festival was to take place.

Apparently Wilma and Duncan were a wee bit worried as they thought something may of happened to me during my travels and adventures around Scotland. (I was 20 minutes late getting to The Mint) No worries though, as Duncan promptly got me a glass of wine and I began chatting with them, as well as some of the other filmmakers that were in attendance.
There were quite a few people at The Mint. The party was invitation only and it consisted of sponsors, filmmakers, friends of the filmmakers and of the festival. Martin was dressed in his Scottish kilt and was looking quite dashing.


I didn't realize that the festival was giving out awards until I saw the trophies and certificates on the stage. When they began announcing the awards, I wasn't really thinking about it because as I said before, I didn't even know there were going to be any awards at the festival. Plus, I was enjoying chatting with my new friends and fellow filmmakers. Wilma got up to present the award for Best Comedy. "The award for Best Comedy at this year's Deep Fried Film Festival goes to: Stacy Marr for her film, Getting Lucky!"

It was a bit of a shock and I felt my face get hot (or maybe it was the glass of wine) as I made my way to the stage. Wilma handed me the award and then asked me some questions such as where did I get the idea for my film, how did I hear about the film festival, what was on the horizon for me and Getting Lucky, etc. Honestly, I don't remember what I said, but I was having a grand time. There was cameraman there and afterwards, he asked me to do an interview. Again, not something I wasn't prepared for, but I had fun and went with it. A few minutes into the interview a fan of Getting Lucky came up and got on camera with me. (he is pictured in the photos)

The party went on until the wee hours of the morning. It was a fantastic festival and a great night of celebration. I was impressed with the caliber of films that were selected for the festival and it was nice to have this evening to meet some wonderful people and filmmakers. Many thanks to Martin, the festival director for a wonderful festival and to Wilma and Duncan for being not only great filmmakers, but wonderful hosts!

The festival has been such a wonderful success on so many levels --- I'm thrilled that I was able to come to this beautiful country of Scotland and be a part of it.

No comments: