Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Rocky Mountains




The next morning I hear a light rain gently falling on my window. I draw back the curtains to see the sun trying to break through the dark, foreboding clouds. Just beyond, is a gorgeous, beaming rainbow across the mountains. I take this as a very good sign.
I get dressed, grab some coffee, and head for the mountains. Although it is a bit soggy, the views are breathtaking as the road weaves through the towering mountains and enormous boulders. The leaves on the Aspen trees are already golden as well as bright orange leaves from other various trees dot the moutainsides.

As my cute rental car climbs the mountain, the rains turn to flurries and suddenly I'm in a winter wonderland. The snow dusts the ground and mountains all around me. It's so quiet and peaceful, it's almost as if I have ascended into another world. There are a few horses that hardly take notice of the flurries (or me) that come down all around them. I, however, marvel at this beautiful sight. The snow seems to silence everything around me; the maddening fast pace world, my racing mind, even the occasional car that drives by I barely notice as the stillness is so captivating and entrancing.

I breathe in the cool, crisp, air and relish in the peaceful, quiet sound of snow. This is the beauty of nature at its finest.

No comments: