Friday, September 15, 2006

Estes Park, Colorado


I've arrived into Denver airport Friday morning and went directly to the rental car agency to pick up my car. The weather is much cooler (about 30 degrees) and the wind is blowing at 20 mph. I get my car and head for the mountains as Estes Park in about 1 1/2 hours from Denver. The scenery is gorgeous as I near the Rocky mountains. Along the way are beautiful rolling hills, farms, and open fields of land. I finally arrive in Estes Park and realize that I am minutes away from the Rocky Mountain National Park. Maybe I will entertain a morning hike in the mountains tomorrow.

Estes Park is a beautiful town located in a central valley as the mountains literally surround the town. The people are friendly, courteous, and are very interested in the upcoming film festival. In my first 2 hours in Estes Park I have seen 4 elk, a coyote, a buck, 3 does and 2 fawns. This is a city among the wilderness and it's spectacular. Also, the Stanley Museum/hotel is here. Famous as it was the setting for The Shining starring Jack Nicholson.


Here are some views of Estes Park. The white tower you see in the background of one of the photos is the The Historic Park Theatre- home of the Estes Park Film Festival.

No comments: